Monday, January 27, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? A Reading List and Projects!


 It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is 
a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  As she says, it’s “a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!”





Last week I finished Spider Web by Earlene Fowler, the 15th in the Benni Harper series. It also completes the series and was the final title needed to complete the untimed Mega Mix Challenge in the Love of Reading group on Goodreads. That was a really great challenge. You can read my short review from Goodreads here.









The February read for my F2F book club is Help, Thanks, Wow by Anne Lamott. It is a tiny book, 112 pages and so at our gathering last week we decided to add Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander, MD. I am about 1/2 way through this book and am fascinated and questioning at the same time. I am anxious to finish, write my thoughts and return it to the library so others may have a chance to read it before we meet again in February.


I also have a couple of book in progress.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt from audible.com on my Kindle.  Not sure how I feel about listening to my kindle. But I am enjoying the story so far.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain was recommended to me by my sister. My sister is an intelligent, caring, strong lady, but she rarely reads for pleasure. She reads gardening books and magazines, self-help type books at times, and cookbooks and stock reports and analysis. So when she recommended this book to me, I downloaded it to my kindle.

The Prescribed Burn by Laryssa Wirstiuk was a win from a blog last year. I wish I could remember which one and give them credit here, but the author signed it and sent it to me. It is a collection of short stories so is a great book to have to pick up for short bouts of reading time. All the stories involve Veda, a young woman who is struggling with herself and her world. There is also bonus material  that include color photographs, book club discussion questions and creative writing exercises. I am thoroughly enjoying this book too.

Mr. Busy and I have started another David Baldacci book on CD, Simple Genius.  This is another King and Maxwell book, but written before the last one we listened to. It is not necessary to listen to them in series, although I personally prefer it. Our library does not have all his books on audio, so we are limited.  As always, King and Maxwell stories are very suspenseful. 

Well, if that doesn't make you tired just reading about it, know that last week I also finished a baby blanket for a brand-new great niece, born in Minnesota on Friday. I also made a princess themed pillowcase for her Big Sister, 4 yr old Maddie.  Those will go in the mail today to my nephew and his family of ladies. Yesterday I started a Bronco themed quilt for my grandson's expected baby boy, due in late February. It is coming along nicely. I will have pictures of all projects later this week, I hope.


Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

3 comments:

  1. Good selection. the Goldfinch is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried listening on my Kindle. I am listening to the newest King and Maxwell book. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Proof of Heaven. Your blanket gifts sound wonderful! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete