Tuesday, January 28, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Goldfinch




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.




While I was still in Amsterdam, I dreamed about my mother for the first time in years. I'd been shut up in my hotel for more than a week,  afraid to telephone anybody or go out; and my heart scrambled and floundered at even the most innocent noises: elevator bell, rattle of the mini-bar cart, even church clocks tolling the hour, de Westertoren, Krijtberg, a dark edge to the clangor, an inwrought fairy-tale sense of doom. By day I sat on the foot of the bed straining to puzzle out the Dutch-language news on television ( which was hopeless, since I knew not a word of Dutch) and when I gave up, I sat by the window staring out at the canal with my camel's hair coat thrown over my clothes - for I'd left New York in a hurry and the things I'd brought weren't  warm enough - even indoors.

The Goldfinch
Donna Tartt
Hachette Audio
Read by David Pittu


It's a bit difficult to get the first paragraph from an audio version. I went to Amazon.com and opened the first page in the "Look Inside" option, then copied it. Hopefully, there are no typos. I double-checked.

Have you read this novel?  Would you read on, now that you have read the first paragraph?
 I have read and heard mixed reviews, but really liked the review by Caitlin on Chaotic Compendiums. I follow Caitlin's blog pretty often and I trust her reviews. So I downloaded it as an audible to my kindle. I'm learning to be OK with the audible version. 

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




11 comments:

  1. Judy, this was my #1 book for 2013 - loved it enjoy. Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would keep reading....I have had this one on my list. Thanks for sharing. Here's MY TUESDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this novel for ages. I've heard so many good things about it. Enjoy!

    My Tuesday Post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/01/first-chapter-first-paragraph-47.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's how I get quotes from audiobooks, too! The Goldfinch is downloaded and ready to go on my kindle... hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like to read this one at some point. Great intro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will check it out....

    Here is my intro post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read this book, but it is on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got this book for Christmas but haven't started it yet. I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thinking about this book and plan to give it a try. Hope it's a good read for you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete