Tuesday, January 7, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Into - 1000 White Women






Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.


[NOTE: the following entry, undated appears on the first page of the first notebook of May Dodd's journal.]

I leave this record for my dear children, Hortense and William, in the event that they never see their loving mother again and so that they might one day know the truth of my unjust incarceration, my escape from Hell, and into whatever is to come in these pages...


23 March 1875

Today is my birthday, and I have received the greatest gift of all ~ freedom!


Would you read on?






Based on actual historical events, this novel follows the indomitable May Dodd as she travels to the Cheyenne, becomes the bride of Little Wolf, chief of that tribe, and struggles with living in and being loyal to two different worlds. 



I have had this book on my TBR list for over 2 years. It was first recommended to me by a friend. I have since heard several other mutual friends have read it and decided that I would pick it up in the new year and that it would fulfill one of the parts of the What's In A Name Challenge sponsored by Brit at The Worm Hole

I am extra excited, the actual book that I checked out of the library this morning is signed by the author, Jim Fergus.  It says" To my readers at Campbell County Public Library - Jim Fergus."  I don't know how they acquired this copy or if he was actually here in Campbell County Wyoming but I want to find out!.  He lived in Northern Colorado when this book was published, so it is not out of the question that he may have actually been here to sign book copies. We are only about 4 hours from the border between Wyoming and Colorado. Now he lives in southern Arizona, so I am assuming they have had this copy for awhile.

Anyway!

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

10 comments:

  1. What a great intro...I'd keep reading. Thanks for joining us in 2014

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Intro. I would love to go on! I would learn so much about history too!

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds interesting. Interesting story about it being signed as well. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a story she must tell! Intriguing.
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book when I read it a few years ago. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for reminding me of a favorite read.

    My Tuesday Intro: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/01/first-chapter-first-paragraph-44.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a story that would grab me. Thanks for sharing...and enjoy. Here's MY TUESDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued and definitely want to know more. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The situation sounds interesting. I'll wait to see what you think of the writing. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete