Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wondrous Words A Second Look


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

These word come from my recent read State Fair by Earlene Fowler. Although they are not new to me, I seem to run across them often, they are not words I use frequently. If  I am not using them, then maybe I really don't know what they mean, so I looked them all up. A review of sorts. These definitions are all from www.yourdictionary.com. 


ubiquitous   adj.  The definition of ubiquitous is something that seems to be present at the same time,everywhere

...ubiquitous commercial buildings selling everything from waterless cookware to genuine Native American turquoise rings. 



acrimonious  adj   The definition of acrimonious is when someone or something is bitter or harsh in manner or speech, or rubs a person the wrong way. 


Katsy wasn't aware that often there was rivalry - sometimes good-natured, more often acrimonious - between many police agencies. 



baleful look  adj.   The definition of baleful is something that is threatening or dangerous. 

"I'm just one pearl in a very long strand of men in her life."
I shot him a baleful look.  "Who's worried?"



ersatz leader  adj   The definition of ersatz is a substitute or synthetic.  

" We talked to some of them. ....Their ersatz leader claimed Cal was just one of dozens of kids......."


I definitely did not have the correct definition for baleful.  I thought it meant sad or longingly. WRONG!.  So maybe with this quick review of words I thought I knew, I will be able to include them in my everyday vocabulary. 


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

4 comments:

  1. I was wrong about baleful too! Great words today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about words you see but can't quite say what they mean. It happens to me often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words Judy! Like you and Kathy, I was wrong about baleful. Thanks for clearing that up. Ersatz has been one of my WWW words too! It's a fun word that I wish I remembered to use more often. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete