Sunday, December 29, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Rushing toward the end of the year!



It's Monday!  What Are You Reading? is sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey. As she says," it's a great way to plan out your reading week and see what other are reading as well....you never know where the next "must read" book will come from!" Click on the link to go to  Book Journey and link up to join the fun. 



I am nearly finished with :
The front of the book:

"This majestic, moving novel is an instant classic, a book that will be read, discussed and taught beyond the rest of our lives."  _ Chicago Tribune

A Lesson Before Dying is set in a small Cajun community in the late 1940's. Jefferson, a young black man, is an unwitting party to a liquor store shootout in which three men are killed; the only survivor, he is convicted of murder and sentenced to death.  The story revolves around Grant Wiggins struggle to honor his aunt's request of him to visit Jefferson in his cell and impart his learning and his pride to Jefferson before his death. It is a compelling story with moving dialogue and a unique insight into the Cajun community in the 1940's. I wonder how that has changed in our present time. I will never know, but I can hope that it has changed for the better.


I also got started on :

From Goodreads:

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1)

by 
3.84 of 5 starsA brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide. After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.
I am also listening to two books:
This one with my husband as we traveled for the holidays. We have 3 more discs to finish. 

This one I am listening to by myself. I have 5 discs left to finish it. Finding alone "me time" is hard.
Hopefully, I will complete these before the end of the year.

Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



8 comments:

  1. I read "A Lesson Before Dying" a few years ago and it was amazing! Heartbreaking but amazing!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are listening to two wonderful audio books. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me I must read The Book Thief, it is languishing on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reminds me, The Cuckoo's Calling is on my Kindle but I haven't read it yet. Come see my Monday Report here. Happy reading and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear Cuckoo's Calling is amazing, it is on my 2014 TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got the Cuckoo's Calling recently myself, I plan to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read Ernest Gaines because I know he was very inspirational to Wiley Cash.

    ReplyDelete