Tuesday, November 26, 2013

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday - More Benni Harper




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.


I am on a mission to complete the Mega Mix Challenge. I have 4 books to read to finish the Benni Harper Mystery series of author Earlene Fowler. I am torn between wanting to complete the challenge and not wanting to complete the series. That's a bit weird, isn't it? Here is the first paragraph in the prologue of installment #12.

Delectable Mountains
Earlene Fowler
Berkley Prime Crime Books 2005

I was six years old when my mother died. For a long time afterward, the sweet and earthy magnolia scent of her  would permeate my dreams. No matter what I was dreaming about, good or frightening, my mother's smell would waft through my nighttime adventures, infusing them with her unseen presence, reassuring me even through their darkest moments. I never told anyone about this. I felt that, somehow, my mother had found a way to communicate with me from heaven even though I knew from the down-to-earth practicality of my Baptist Sunday School lessons that it was likely impossible. Still, I have heard it said more than once that with God, nothing is impossible. Is it so hard to imagine that He, in His infinite compassion, might have, for a moment in time, comforted a scared little girl with her mother's familiar scent? 

So, would you read on?  Have you ever become so attached to a character in a series that you didn't want the series to end?

Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. The intro sounds interesting. I don't think there is anything wrong with not completing the challenge, if your torn about it. I would probably skim to the end, if I were close to finishing, but did not want to read anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this, what a comforting sentiment. Have a happy Thanksgiving. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and definitley would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Judy, I love this intro. If the rest of the book is this captivating, I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the intro a lot; bet the book will be good - enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck on completing the challenge! I have not read this author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this series but yes, I've gotten attached to characters and then they disappear for years, and sometimes forever, while the author moves on to something else. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete