Monday, November 18, 2013

Another Ebook read, 9 more to go.


Caramel and MagnoliasCaramel and Magnolias by Tess Thompson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't know what to expect from this book. It was featured on Bookbub,either free or for .99 and I was drawn to the title. I guessed it was a love story, a chick lit kind of book. I was in for a surprise.

The prologue introduces us to a young girl named Alicia Johnson, who live in the Pacific Northwest in a small town and a woman with ice blue eye in purple glasses.We are meant not to like her.  In the locker room at the HS, Alicia's friend Lola says she has a way for Alicia to make some money for masseuse school but she has to keep it a secret.

As the book begins we meet Cleo Tanner, a Montessori teacher and a young woman who doesn't think much of herself. Her best friend Sylvia is married but unhappy. Sylvia want a baby and can't conceive. Malcom, her husband, could care less but goes along with in-vitro anyway. Cleo and Sylvia have a bestie named Nick. He has been their friend since HS.

This is a story of friendship, of love, of family. At first I was unhappy with the mystery of how the young girls were introduced to a way of making money to provide for their dreams. I wasn't sure where the story was taking me. But finally, the characters come to life, their lives intertwine to give us a great story.

I'll read Tess Thompson again.



This is my 16th ebook this year, on my way to 25 before the year is out. Last week when I posted my review of The Husband's Secret I wondered if Sarah at Workaday Reads was going to host this Challenge for 2014. Well, on her post dated 11-16-13, she announced that she was!  Hooray!  I will definitely do this one again. No pressure, just read the books on your electronic device, or download new ones!! Review and link when you can and go for your goal.  My kind of challenge!

Please join Sarah and the rest of us by signing up at Workaday Reads. This is the link to the sign up post. the instructions are there too.

Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




No comments:

Post a Comment