Thursday, November 14, 2013

Amy Einhorn Books Perpetual Challenge from Beth Fish Reads

A couple of years ago I happened on the blogging world. Completely by accident I found my first blog,  Beth Fish Reads. I was so captivated by Beth's love of books and her ability to review books. It is something I struggled with then and still struggle with so I decided to participate in some of her challenges. I chose the Amy Einhorn Books Perpetual  Challenge because I had already read The Help by Kathryn Stockett and because it wasn't timed there would be no pressure. So I ordered 6 selections from her lists and began. I have fallen woefully behind, but have read some of the selections.

The following is a recent review from the 2013 list of Amy Einhorn Books.

The Husband's SecretThe Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Cecelia, Tess and Rachael have part of their lives in common. Cecelia happens upon a letter written many years earlier by her husband and address to her to open if he dies. As she ponders whether to open in now, her husband is very much alive but away on business, her life unfolds around her. It intermingles with Rachael's life, at her daughter's elementary school. The PE teacher at the school grew up in the area, even dated Rachael's daughter, Janie. Tess grew up there too and is now home while she sorts out the news of her husband's affair with her cousin and best friend Felicity. Tangled webs are woven and must surely destroy lives. Or must they?  

I loved this book. Liane Moriarty's characters were very real to me. They experienced feelings that we all have experienced at one time or another. They know of guilt and anguish, of love and hate, of ambivalence and abhorrence. They are human.


This was also an ebook on my kindle, so it satisfies another challenge that I participate in. I originally decided to try to read 10 EBooks. I completed that level so the next level was 25, I may not make the goal. But I have a lot of books on my kindle and seem to keep downloading more!  You can participate too, though you might just want to wait and see if this challenge in sponsored again in 2014.  I will look for it. If you want to check it out, just go to Sarah's blog  Workaday Reads and see what everyone else is reading on their electronic device.

Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy,




2 comments:

  1. Hi Judy,

    I very rarely take part in challenges, as much as I would like to, because I always struggle to complete them and then feel so guilty if I fall woefully behind.

    I can also empathise with the issue over the writing of reviews. I currently have 10 books I have read which are all awaiting review and I just seem to keep getting further and further behind. My problem is that I tend to want to say so much that my reviews are always quite lengthy affairs, which have been edited over and over before I am finally happy with them.

    Still, overall I am loving blogging and sharing all the great books and authors out there, so I just plod on doing things my own way and in my own time.

    I have 'The Husband's Secret' on my reading list, after it was featured on several blogs a few weeks ago. The reviews and ratings the book has received have been phenomenal and I can't wait to get started on it.

    Your short, yet beautifully put, concise review, tells me all I really need to know, thanks.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comment, Yvonne. I just keep plugging away, enjoying the journey

      Delete