Wednesday, October 23, 2013

W...W...W... Wednesday - my 1st!




To play along just answer the following three (3) questions:
What are you currently reading?
What  did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you'll read next?

Then pop on over to Should Be Reading and leave a comment or a link to your post in the comment section.
 
Currently I am reading:  I am about 1/2 way through and enjoying it very much. It is the November selection for my F2F bookclub.

I recently finished: 
This is not the cover of the edition that my library had, but it is close. 


Goodreads Synopsis:
Rebecca, a dark psychological tale of secrets and betrayal, is Daphne du Mauriers best-loved work and was named Best Novel of the 20th Century at the Bouchercon World Mystery Convention. After a whirlwind romance and a honeymoon in Italy, the innocent young heroine and the dashing Maxim de Winter return to his country estate, Manderley. But the unsettling memory of Rebecca, the first Mrs. de Winter, still lingers within. The timid bride must overcome her husbands oppressive silences and the sullen hostility of the sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers, to confront the emotional horror of the past.

I loved this book. Everyone said I would and they were correct. The writing is so descriptive, so colorful,
so almost poetic. I think it is strange that we never know the heroine's name. Rebecca is the book's namesake and she is definitely a major presence in the story. When Mrs Danvers suggested that the timid young bride dress in the white dress and hat of the late Caroline de Winter, her new husbands great grandmother for the upcoming fancy dress ball,  I screamed, "no no don't do it!".  Turns out I was right!.  Evil Mrs, Danvers! From that point on the story escalates to include secrets, murder, blackmail and destruction. And the ending.............?

Next I will read:
Which I checked out at the library when I picked up The Kitchen House. I want to read them all and I am waaaay  behind!.


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

JUDY



5 comments:

  1. I really loved The Kitchen House. How are you liking it?

    Have a great week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My W...W...W...

    ReplyDelete
  2. REBECCA is one of my all-time favorites too.

    ENJOY!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My W...W...W...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'The Kitchen Help' looks really good! I may have to add it to my TBR list! Thanks!

    Happy Wednesday! Here's my WWW: http://candy-m.blogspot.com/2013/10/w-w-w-wednesdays-october-23-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Janet Evanovich. Only on #6. I've read Rebecca and seen the movie. Deliciously psychological.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard The Kitchen House is terrific!

    ReplyDelete