Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday Winter of the World finally finished











Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.


Here are a few that I found in one of my current read. This book is filled with new and interesting  words. 
There were no real journalists, either, just scribbling sycophants.   

page 487    Winter of the World. 

noun
A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.
from  American Heritage Dictionary.

This word was new to me. I wonder if I could find a place to use it my every day speech? 

His supercilious air had gone. It was a remarkable transformation.

page 490   Winter of the World

The definition of supercilious is someone who feels or acts like they are better than everyone else.adjective

from Your Dictionary  ( online)   


   I had seen supercilious, but I like the sound of this word, so wanted to share it. 

There was no mistaking those high cheekbones, that scimitar nose, the luxuriant dark hair, the skin the color and smoothness of cafe au lait. 

page 507    Winter of the World. 


noun     a short, curved sword with an edge on the convex side, used chiefly by Turks and Arabs
I did not know this word. I guess that would mean that Joanne had a rather sharp nose. 

Sorry I missed posting last week. It was a busy and exhausting week for me. Not much reading time, and though I did read some I did not get a chance to look up the words I wrote in my "WORDS JOURNAL". 

Until next time 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


5 comments:

  1. Judy, we must have similar minds. I noted sychophant as a word to feature for WWW too! I saw it used in reference to Judas Iscariot. Hmm! And, I have also featured supercilious as one of my word nerd words- I found it in Dickens' Great Expectations- used to describe the elusive (to Pip) Estella. Thanks for playing today and for stopping by my blog last week even though you were busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing sycophant. That's one of those words I think I know but, when I pause, I realize I don't. I have, however, known a few people who fit the definition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the words especially sycophant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the words today, thanks! for sharing them.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/10/wondrous-words-wednesday_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that all of your new words start with an S!

    ReplyDelete