Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 10-30


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

Here are some words I ran across in my reading this week. 


VASCULUM - noun   A covered metal case, often cylindrical, used by botanists to carry specimen plants. 

This is from The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. I would share the exact sentence here, but I returned the book to the library. I found these two images on the internet. One is very beautiful, the other, obviously more utilitarian. 






Also from The Kitchen House , "supercilious abandon".  I had seen this word before, but could not remember it's definition.

SUPERCILIOUS - adj.  disdainful or contemptuous; full of or characterized by pride or scorn, haughty.

I liked  The Kitchen House very much. I recommend it highly.


And from a completely different kind of book:   Four to Score by Janet Evanovich.  This is #4 in the Stephanie Plum series and I like them a lot too!

" Connie's domain was this one room where friends and relatives of miscreants came to beg money."


MISCREANTS - noun.  an evil person or a person who behaves badly, gets into trouble, breaks the law.

Four to Score is about the adventures of Stephanie Plum, a bungling bounty hunter or bond enforcement office as she likes to say when trying to look like an upstanding citizen.

What new words did you discover this week?


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

5 comments:

  1. I think I've seen a vasculum in a TV show or movie and had no idea it had a name. I actually thought it was a lunch box. Thanks for cluing me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used supercilious as a wondrous word too! Glad you liked The Kitchen House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vasculum is one of those words I think I know but, when pressed, haven't a clue. Supercilious is one of those words people write silly songs about, or should write silly songs about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VASCULUM was new to me. I enjoyed your post; the pictures are helpful and fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew supercilious, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete