Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wondrous Words 10-22 Dear Congressman!




Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.



rapprochement  noun
an establishing, or esp. a restoring, of harmony and friendly relations
Origin: Fr < rapprocher, to bring together: see re-, approach, & -ment   from Webster's New World Dictionary. 
I think the US Congress and Senate could make use of this word. The government is back in session, but again only temporarily. 

from Caitlin at Chaotic Compendiums 's review of The Death of Santini. 

I love the sound of this word. Click HERE for the link then click the speaker icon to hear it. 


My recent reads have not revealed any new words. So I was glad to find this one reading Caitlin's review.  I just started The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom, maybe I'll find some unknown or fun words for next week. 


4 comments:

  1. If only our government understood that word! They're a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent word, and I'm with you 100%. I read The Kitchen House last year- and then I got to hear Kathleen Grissom speak at a writer's conference here in Virginia. She's from Virginia and wrote the book after finding an abandoned home site on her property. She did a lot of promotional work for her book once it came out and got a nice contract with one of the big publishers. It sounds like she loves to talk to book clubs. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that your eyes are looking for new words wherever they go. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very today word.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/10/wondrous-words-wednesday_23.html

    ReplyDelete