Tuesday, October 15, 2013

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros Rebecca


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.


Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me. There was a padlock and a chain upon the gate. I called in my dream to the lodge-keeper, and had no answer, and peering closer through the rusted spokes of the gate I saw that the lodge was uninhabited.

Am I the only one on the planet that has not read this classic?  Do you recognize it? I feel like it should have been included in my high school required reading, but it was not. It was a long time ago, but I would have remembered I am sure. I did not go to college and continued reading current books and never did go back to classics.  I am looking forward to reading this story.


 I checked it out from our library. This is not the exact cover, but close. It is a Staff Pick from our library, but the librarian looked slightly amused that I was checking it out!  How did he know I wasn't going to read it to a granddaughter or something.  Anyway, I am sure I will enjoy it. 

So, would you read on or read again?


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

9 comments:

  1. Oh how I remember that intro. You are in for a treat - great story, so atmospheric. Enjoy and thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember that intro. Rebecca was required reading for me in high school. I'd love to read it again if I had the time.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/10/first-chapter-first-paragraph-35.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that opening! It opens the door on my memories of this book that I read so long ago. But I have a copy sitting nearby, and plan to reread it when I get a chance. Thanks!

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy that this is your first reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I recognized it by the first few words! I love that book. My mother bought the paperback for me when I was in my teens. Unfortunately I never held on to it so I will have to pick it up again. You will really enjoy this one--please keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good. I haven't read this one either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been so long ago (50 years?) tuhat I honestly don't remember it. Even the first paragraph didn't ring a bell. I only have a feeling of fondness towards the title and author. I think I need to re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched the movie version of this again. About the perfect suspense novel -- with an almost perfect beginning. Enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete