Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday







Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

I am currently reading Latter-day Cipher by Latayne C. Scott. I am reading it on my Kindle and so the new to me words have been easy to look up. But I'd like to share a few here. 



1.   surfeited.        Office staff had of course been off all weekend so surfeited fax machines with their endless cascades of papers squealed for attention.  

surfeit in a noun meaning a excessive amount of something.  


2. apocryphal       That ancestral name seemed apocryphal at best - the rangy-boned kid was handsome but hardly Nordic. 

apocryphal is an adjective.  (of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true. 


3. obsequious     ...he'd heard Alma Woodruff's Lord-voice booming behind the holy veil there in the temple, right after the obsequious "veil worker" had tapped with a mallet three time. 

obsequious is an adjective meaning obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree. 


Although these words are interesting, and there are many more in this book, I doubt that I will add them to my everyday language.  Are these words familiar to you? Do you use them frequently?


Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



5 comments:

  1. I've had surfeit and obsequious as Wondrous Words on my blog too! So I knew them! Yippee! Thanks for the review. I didn't know the exact meaning of apocryphal, so thanks for educating me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apocryphal is interesting - I would have guessed its meaning totally wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apocryphal got me too. I was thinking of something to do with the Scriptures, but I'm glad to learn the true meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have a surfeited amount of work to do, great words.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/09/wondrous-words-wednesday_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, your ebook is a great source of new words, and how nice to be able to look them up on the same device, quickly and easily! Apocryphal is quite interesting--not what I would have guessed! Thanks for adding to my vocabulary list, Judy.

    ReplyDelete