Sunday, September 1, 2013

September getaway! Ready for a week away.

I have been gathering my stitching stuff and charging my kindle. I also packed 3 decks of cards and a Sudoku book or two. All in anticipation of 6 days away in our new-to-us camper.





Then I decided to make a dish rug for the counter in the camper. It is a narrow counter only 18" deep and the sink fits in the corner, making the counter very odd shaped. I decided to take the rectangular measurements and followed an idea I had seen at Freemotion by the River. Connie has great tutorials for all kinds of useful things using scraps and leftovers.

 I had some 5" squares cut for a class I took from Pat Spaeth at a quilting conference 2012. We made lots of different kinds of block using Pat's nickel quilt method, but I had cut more than I had time to practice with. Long story short, I took nine of the 5" squares and sewed them into a nine patch. ( I know I should have taken pictures). Then I cut those following Connie's disappearing nine patch tutorial on her blog. That made a block that was 13.5 " sq. I needed a rectangle to finish at 16" X 18".  I dug through my blue/purple stash and luck was on my side. I found a piece of the dark fabric that was in the 9-patch. I added a piece on the bottom of the block and then a piece on the end of the block. I sewed that finished rectangle to an old blue towel and VIOLA, I had a perfect dish rug for the camper. Sure, I could have just used a towel for draining the dishes, but this will be so much prettier. Thanks Connie for your great tutorial. I really want to do a string block table runner this winter. My plan is to by no new fabric or patterns in 2014. I need to finish my UFO's, use up the fabric that is overtaking my sewing room.


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

5 comments:

  1. All the best for a fun September getaway! The dish rug is pretty and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed the tutorials and the mat looks great on your camper counter! Have a great time! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dish Rug looks great! Nifty idea to make one for the camper. HOpe you have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete