Monday, September 30, 2013

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Roses




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.


This week while continuing to read Winter of the World by Ken Follett, I will start reading this:

Howbutker, Texas, August 1985
At his desk, Amos Hines turned over the last sheet of the two-page legal document he'd been instructed to to read. His mouth had gone dry at wheat chaff, and for a moment he could only blink in dazed disbelief at his client and longtime friend seated before his desk, a woman he had admired - revered - for forty years and had thought he knew. He searched her expression for indications that age had finally affected her faculties, but she stared back with all the clear-eyed acuity for which she was renowned. Working saliva into his mouth, he asked, " Is this codicil for real, Mary? You've sold the farms and changed your will?" 


What do you think? Would you keep reading?
If so, join me in a Buddy read on Goodreads,
in the Ladies and Literature group.
 Roses
Leila Meacham
Grand Central Publishing, a division of Hachette Book Group, Inc.
2010


Summary: Spanning the 20th century, the story of Roses takes place in a small East Texas town against the backdrop of the powerful timber and cotton industries, industries controlled by the scions of the town's founding families.

Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy






9 comments:

  1. I misread your post as when I read the into I knew it wasn't from, Winter of the World...LOL

    It does make me curious for more - I'm not familiar with this book.

    Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...the new commenting system confuses me...I inadvertently "signed out" instead of publish, so there may be two comments...or not.

    Anyway...I have another book by this author (Tumbleweeds), so now, after reading this opening, I can't wait to dive into it. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that intro, but am curious to know how you like Winter of the World. I read Fall of Giants in January and am just about ready to continue with the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the tease for Roses is a good one. Enough for me to want to keep reading.

    I hope you are enjoying Winter of the World!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the intro paragraph, the setting, and the time period. Yes, I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Roses and enjoyed it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Roses & Tumbleweeds, but haven't read either.

    ReplyDelete