Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 8-28




 Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy. Click on over to BermudaOnion to link up to share your new words, or at least to peruse the words that others have discovered. 


Here are two new-to-me words from Winter of the World by Ken Follett.  All definitions from Dictionary.com.




peroration    noun  the concluding part of a speech in which there is a summing up and an emphatic recapitulation.
It was two and a half hours before Hitler reached his peroration.     pg 61

mendacious - adj    not truthful; lying or false

Lloyd had been released with profuse apologies from the German Foreign Ministry, and an explanatory statement that was abject yet at the same time mendacious, implying that he had got into the brawl through his own foolishness and then been held prisoner by an administrative error for which the authorities were deeply sorry.   pg 77


I love discovering new words. Today is my mom's birthday. If she were still alive she would be 91 today, but she passed away just a little over a year ago, one month before her 90th birthday. I miss her a lot. She loved words too and both she and my dad were good readers and instilled the love of reading in all four of their children.

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your mom. What a wonderful gift to have had her for 90 years - she sounds like an incredible lady.

    I have not heard these two words before ~ i like the way mendacious rolls off the tongue and will have to use it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also sorry about your mom- it's tough without them, isn't it? I lost mine when I was 25 and I still miss her so.

    Great words and peroration is a tongue twister!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences about your mom, I still miss mine, a great loss.

    New and good words to me.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondrous-words-wednesday_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an idea about mendacious but peroration is totally new to me.

    I know how you feel about your mom - my dad passed away almost 3 years ago and I still miss him terribly.

    ReplyDelete