Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 8-21





 Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy. Click on over to Kathy's blog and link up to share your new/or favorite words. 

Here are two of my favorites  words from  my most recent read. All definitions from Dictionary.com.


These words are from my current read Winter of the World by Ken Follett. This is a huge book and I should have been reading it all summer, as it was the summer selection of my F2F book club.  But as always, I procrastinated and so am trying to get it read before the 2nd Tuesday in September. I will probably be successful. I am enjoying it very much. 


seditious- adjective.  A person, group or words that urge people to rebel against the government or other authority. 


"This is a seditious gathering. Communists and  subversives are not wanted in today's Germany. This meeting is closed."


truncheon - noun. 
1. obsolete: a short thick club
2. any staff or baton used as a symbol of authority.
3. chiefly Brit: a policeman's stick or billy

"A spotty-faced boy carrying a truncheon, put a hand on Werner's back and shoved energetically,....."

I am familiar with these words, but I like them, so I am sharing them today. This book is set 1933-1949 in both Germany and the United States. Some in England too. It is a sequel to Fall of Giants  by Ken Follett. 

What wondrous words have you found in your reading?


Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

7 comments:

  1. Great words, thanks. Ken Follet can write some lengthy novels. I read The Pillars of the Earth a few summers ago. Don't be too hard on yourself, and good luck finishing by the 2nd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew truncheon but seditious is new to me. I bet I'd find tons of words in Follett's books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like truncheon. not familiar with the word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two new words for me.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondrous-words-wednesday_3604.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew both your words too, but they are wonderful words I agree. Night stick is also used for a policeman's truncheon, and that's my favourite version of truncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen truncheon before but I don't remember what I was reading. Nice place you have here!

    http://imaloverofbooks.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/wondrous-word-wednesday/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judy,

    What a great concept .... not only sharing words which are new to us, but also words that we particularly like, or enjoy the sound of!

    I knew both of your words this week, although I have to confess to being one of the few readers never to have attempted a Ken Follett book, as I am not a huge fan of the massive 'chunkster' sagas that he tends to write.

    Thanks for sharing and I hope that you enjoy the rest of the book.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete