Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Steps to the Altar - a review

Last week I finished #9 in the Benni Harper Mystery series by Earlene Fowler. I so enjoy this series. They are fun easy reads, great to intersperse between books more thought provoking or even dark as is my current read, Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. Next is my review that appears on Goodreads. And I am using this as the final entry into the What's in a Name 6 challenge on
Beth Fish Reads  .         


Steps to the Altar (A Benni Harper Mystery #9)Steps to the Altar by Earlene Fowler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This one is one of my favorites of the series so far. Benni is having some real feelings in this one. Gabe is being a jerk, which makes me sad. And Elvia and Emory are finally getting married.

Usually Benni seems to go looking for a mystery to solve, but in this story the mystery sort of falls in her lap. Or is at the very least thrust upon her by an associate. And this murder is an unsolved cold case, so not so very pressing to find the murderer.

As always, Grandma Dove has words of wisdom for Benni when she "just knows" that Benni and Gabe are having problems. And as always, Dove makes me laugh as she prepares for her own "perfect" wedding to Issac.

This story is really a love story more than a mystery. I enjoyed it a great deal.


 I think it fits the book with a party or celebration in the title. It is a bit obscure, but I have been looking and looking for another and even the ones that other participants have read do not speak to me as titles I might want to read. So Steps to the Altar means a wedding and celebration to me.

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


1 comment: