Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 7-31



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love.  Feel free to get creative! Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week.    If you want to play along, grab the button and link up at Diana's blog. 
I am reading Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. As always, Ms. Brooks uses words that are new and unfamiliar. 
1. croft – “When you have been raised in a bare croft, eating with wooden spoons and crude platters, there are a hundred small and subtle pleasures to be garnered in the smooth  slipperiness of a fine porcelain cup under your hands......"

 noun 

Chiefly British
  1. A small enclosed field or pasture near a house.
  2. A small farm, especially a tenant farm.
2. damascene - "Sometimes, as I polished the Mompellions' damascene chest, I would study its delicate inlays...."

I had trouble finding a definition for the adjective form of this word. The dictionaries just kept repeating the word in the noun form and verb form. I think I understand that it is a piece inlaid with damask or some other material. I did find an image, the link is below. To me it seems very ornate for anything used in the time of this book, the mid 1600's. 





Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy





ps: I am very unhappy about the look of the blog today. I did some cutting and pasting of the definitions, but not all and it looks very "scrapbooky".  I apologize. I almost "scrapped" it completely and did not post, but I really like to participate in this meme. It is one of my favorites. 




4 comments:

  1. Both of those words are new to me. Since she says the chest has delicate inlays, I think your definition is right - the photo is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy,

    Coming from the UK I know of 'croft', although this word would be more typically used in Scotland, rather than way down in the South of England, where I hail from.

    'Damascene' is a new word to me, however I did mange to find this definition ... "Metalwork decorated with wavy patterns of inlay or etching" ... and there is a great little article on Wikipedia, with loads more amazing pictures, similar to the example you gave.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascening

    I had such an interesting few minutes checking this out and reading the article, thank you so much for sharing the word.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't sweat about the look of the blog- sometimes things get wacky. Glad you posted anyway- content matters most! I think croft sounds so British! And I'm hoping I'm pronouncing damascene correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two new words for me, thanks, for sharing.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/wondrous-words-wednesday_31.html

    ReplyDelete