Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 7-3-13


 Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

Here are three of my favorite new-to-me words from one of my recent reads. All definitions started at Dictionar
y.com and then were expanded upon. 



Last week I mentioned that I was reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette, and I had not found any new words. I was only on page 71. Well, I continued to read on last Wednesday ( after housework and some sewing) and wouldn't you know I found 3 new words. 


They are:

insouciant:adj    calm and untroubled, carefree and indifferent.

pg 90 " I was taken by her beauty, gregariousness, and insouciant charm"


definition from Webster's New World College Dictionary



fulminating: intransitive verb   
1. to explode with sudden violence; detonate
2. to shout forth denunciations, decrees, etc 

pg 92  "All the energy she had once channeled so fearlessly into architecture, she turned toward fulminating about Seattle,...." 



definition from yourdictionary.com



hagiography: noun  

1. a book or writing, or an assemblage of these about the lives of saints


2. such books or writings as a field of study 


from yourdictionary.com


or


1. biography of saints


2. worshipful or idealizing biography


pg 102 "Because you've taken an interest in Bernadette Fox, here's a bit of a hagiography from the not-yet-published February issue of ARTFORUM. 


I believe the author used the second definition from the American Heritage Dictionary 4. 


from American Heritage Dictionary 4



Stay Busy and Stay Happy







ps: I apologize for the "scrappy" appearance. I don't know exactly how to fix it. It has something to do with the text background color. 

2 comments:

  1. These are all new words for me.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/wondrous-words-wednesday_3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've looked up hagiography before but can never remember it since I've never had the chance to use it. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete