Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Into 7-30-13



Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.


"I used to love this season. The wood stacked by the door, the tang of its sap still speaking of forest. The hay made, all golden in the low afternoon light. The rumble of the apples tumbling into the cellar bins. Smells and sights and sounds that said this year it would be alright: there'd be food and warmth for the babies by the time the snows came. I used to love to walk in the apple orchard at this time of the year, to fell the soft give underfoot when I trod on a fallen fruit. Thick, sweet scents of rotting apple and wet wood. This year, the hay stooks are few and the woodpile scant, and neither matter much to me. "

This is the first chapter, first paragraph of my current read this week.
Title:     Year of Wonders
Author:  Geraldine Brooks
from our local library


Have you read this book?  Are you interested enough to keep reading?  I have read 2 other titles of Geraldine Brooks and they were both very good. This one has my interest too. Ms. Brook's research is amazing and her prose is so descriptive, almost poetic.

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy





ps: this title will help fulfill the challenge of reading book titles that spell my name for the Mega Mix Challenge in the Love of Reading group on Goodreads.. This is the "Y"   SCORE!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love fall, and this intro evokes that feeling really well...and then drops a bomb at the end that hints at bad times ahead. Yes, I'd keep reading.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this name challenge before but it does sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book, but I love the description in the paragraph. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Spangle @ The Oliva Reader

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a pioneer type book in a long time. Hope you like it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the fall and this paragraph drew me in bigtime. Hope the rest is as good. enjoy

    Thanks for joining us Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read this book, but it is a lovely intro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read this author before, but I would have passed on this book when I saw the cover. But reading your intro, I want to keep reading. Maybe I need to stop being a cover snob!! Pinning it now!!

    ReplyDelete