Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 6-12



 Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy. This definition is from Webster's New World College Dictionary. 


vitriolic, adj 

1.  of, like or derived from a vitriol
2.  extremely biting or caustic; sharp and bitter: vitriolic talk



I have not encountered any new words in my regular book reading this week. However, at the end Until The Real Thing Comes Along, there was published a conversation with the author, Elizabeth Berg. Sometimes I don't read these, but I was interested in her character development.  One of the questions asked was about reader response to her novels. Ms Berg told of a receipt, in the mail, of a mangled tape of Talk Before Sleep with a letter that stated the woman had no idea that there were lesbians in the book and she was furious, so she had returned the "filth" to her. She said the response was so vitriolic, that is was disturbing. 

I was pretty sure I understood the meaning as used in that sentence, but I had no idea how to pronounce that word. So I went to my online dictionary to "listen". Now, if I want to use this word, at least I'll pronounce it correctly. 

Now,  I guess, I will have to search out a copy of  Talk Before Sleep so I can see what all the hullabaloo was about.  


Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

3 comments:

  1. Judy, I'm so glad you cleared this up for me. Vitriolic is one of those words I've seen and should remember- I thought it meant "lively", like from "vitae"- but, clearly, it doesn't. Thanks for the vivid example- I shouldn't forget it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that word is never used to describe me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vitriolic is often linked to politicians and mother-in-laws!

    ReplyDelete