Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wondrous Word Wednesday 6-5


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

I did not come across any new words this week. My WORD JOURNAL that I started awhile back, is empty. I haven't been keeping up.....so I went to my online dictionary. Their word of the day is: by and large.  I think that is three words but it's not my site...any way that is not one I wanted to share. So I took their vocabulary quiz.  Did OK too, but didn't know:


EXTANT:  adjective

1. archaic: standing out or above

2. a: currently or actually existing  

    b: still existing: not destroyed or lost

examples:


  • There are a few extant records from that period.

  • One of the oldest buildings still extant.

  • There is, he reports, no extant copy of the Super Bowl I television broadcast; nobody bothered to keep the tapes. - Joe Queenan, New York Times Book Review, 1 Feb. 



So that is my new word today.  EXTANT

What new words did you discover this week.?


Until next time

Stay Busy and Stay Happy





3 comments:

  1. That's a new word for me as well. I hope I can remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know extant.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for extant. That's new to me too.

    ReplyDelete