Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Until the Real Thing Comes Along: FCFP Tuesday Intros.





Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.

I used to think that the best thing to do when you had the blues was to soak in a bathtub full of hot water, submerge yourself so that only the top half of your head was in the outer world You could feel altered and protected. Weightless. You could feel mysterious, like a crocodile, who is bound up with the wisdom of the natural world and does not concern herself with the number of dates she has per month or the biological time clock. You could feel purified by the rising steam.  Best of all, you could press a washrag across your chest, and it would feel like the hand of your mother when you were little and suffering from a cold, and she'd lay her flat palm on you to draw the sickness out. 

 This is the first paragraph of the first chapter of  "Until The Real Thing Comes Along" by Elizabeth Berg. I have read The Katie Nash series by Elizabeth Berg and really enjoyed them. I think this one looks good too. What do you think? Would you read on? 
I could not find an image of the cover that I have, either on Goodreads or Amazon.  So I took one with my camera phone. It is a hand me down from a friend. It is the Ballantine Reader's Circle format.

The Chicago Tribune writes: "Touching...[A] deft, sweet and often comic novel."  I could use a sweet comic novel this week.


Until Next Time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

7 comments:

  1. I love the imagery she creates from that opening. I'd definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the intro! It's been a while since I last read Elizabeth Berg... maybe it's time to check her out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the intro, and have not read this one yet. Hoping you love it; thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this author. I have not read this series though.

    ReplyDelete