Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 3-13-13



 Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.


These 2 words were in a recently finished read. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. I had seen the first word in Ms Meyers first book of the Lunar Chronicles, "Cinder". But I did not look it up, just formed my own definition based on the usage in the story. I was a tiny bit off. 


This is an ARC that is a traveling book at Ladies & Literature on Goodreads, so the cover does not look like the book that is in stores or on library shelves. But I highly recommend it. 




thaumaturge: noun

1. a person who supposedly works miracles.  

I thought is was a bad wizard-type person, under the spell of an evil queen.  



runes:  noun

any of the characters of any of several alphabets used by the Germanic peoples of the 3rd - 13th century. 

as an adjective: in decorative interlaced effect. 

In the book the word was used to describe the robes of the "thaumaturge".  So I envisioned gold braid in an entwined pattern, like a Celtic cross. 


This story was set in a future century, so it is interesting that the "runes" on the cloak sleeves or robe hems were based on Germanic alphabets in the 3rd to the 13th century. 


I finished the book for my F2F bookclub, Claiming Ground by Laura Bell. It was amazing. Now on to fulfilling a March challenge of four books to spell the word, GOLD.  Can you guess what my choices might be? I'll post them as I finish.

Another new word:   from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

unctuous:  adj.
1. fatty or oily
2. smooth and greasy in texture or appearance.
3. full of unction - especially : revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating. or false earnestnes or spirituality.

I knew what a loathsome person he was, one of those unctuous worms who work for The London Hue and Cry.
This is a quote from one of the characters, Susan Scott in a letter to the publisher of Juliet's books. I am sure she meant the 3rd description, but maybe all 3 would have applied!!!  LOL


Until Next Time

Stay Busy and Stay Happy

6 comments:

  1. I know I've encountered unctuous before but I couldn't define it. I need to figure out how to pronounce it so I can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoyed the book. The words are a bit challenging but I like a good story with new and interesting words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post, I am looking forward to this. Your post is particular useful, plz keep going. Runescape accounts for sale is also cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew runes from books I've read with my son, and unctuous is one of my favourite words. Thaumaturge is new for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love unctuous - I've seen it before but didn't quite know the meaning. I could of sounds like it means!

    ReplyDelete