Monday, March 11, 2013

Mailbox Monday and Nonfiction Reading Challenge


Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week(s) and explore great book blogs. Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at Hooked by A Book (formerly The Printed Page) and is on tour for the month of March, and hosted by Caitlin at Chaotic Compendiums
  Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

I had empty mailboxes all week, but  last week it was jammed packed. So it is all right. I started and finished the March read for my F2F book club.  It will complete the first in my 
2013 Non Fiction Reading Challenge  hosted at The Introverted Reader.  I signed up for Dilettante: 1-5 non-fiction.  Non-fiction used to be my favorite genre, but the last year or so I haven't read much of it. So this will get me going again.  The book was 

The back of the book reads: In 1977, Laura Bell left her family home in Kentucky for a wild and unexpected adventure: herding sheep in Wyoming's Big Horn Basin. the only woman in a man's world, she nevertheless found a home among the strange community of drunks and eccentrics, as well as a shared passion for a life of solitude and hard work. By turns, cattle rancher, forest ranger, outfitter, masseuse, wife and mother, Bell vividly recounts her struggle to find solid earth in a memoir that's as breathtaking as it is singular.

I cannot find words to review this book. I am touched by her almost lyrical writing. I feel as if I stumbled upon a private journal, and suddenly got a glimpse of a woman who was strong, courageous, tender and a true friend. I will hold this book close to my heart, as I venture on to the rest of my life. I may be lucky enough to meet her someday in my home ground of Big Beautiful and Wonderful Wyoming. I urge you to pick up a copy and learn for yourself about this amazing woman. 


3 comments:

  1. A quiet week is nice at times - it gives you a chance to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious about this one. I do like a dose of non fiction in between. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ENJOY your slow week for catching up.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete