Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wordless and Wondrous Words Wednesday 2-13





Desolate tree in northern Montana. Montana Rockies in the background. Taken by my brother-in-law.




Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy. This week I only found 1 word during my reading that was unfamiliar.  We just don't use this word in our area. Asphalt, or tarmac are more familiar words in our part of the country. Roads are usually resurfaced with ground up asphalt mixed with new asphalt or even concrete is used. 



macadam:    - noun
  1. small broken stones used in making roads; esp., such stones combined with a binder such as tar or asphalt
  2. macadamized pavement
Origin: after John L. McAdam (1756-1836), Scot engineer
I'm reading Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovitch. Two totally different stories bu I am enjoying them both. 

5 comments:

  1. This word is familiar, we have a macadam driveway.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/02/wondrous-words-wednesday_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard macadam but have never known exactly what it is. I can picture it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew what the small pieces of stone were, but never knew what to call them. The word kind of sounds like what it is. Will you review The Hunger Games?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macadam - nice! I never knew there was a specific word for those little stones. I love learning new things through WWW :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I knew macadam. I read historical fiction, that's why. Your Montana picture is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete