Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday 2-20




Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by  Bermuda Onion's Weblog each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading or highlight words that you particularly enjoy. 

Here are a few of my favorite new-to-me words from my most recent read, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan  by Lisa See.  All definitions come from my online dictionary,  Webster's New World Dictionary.  

vituperation: noun


1. the act of vituperting
2. abusive language

"Today I will sing a Letter of Vituperation, " Snow Flower announced.   pge 227.


After reading the context I still wasn't sure of the word. Then the dictionary meaning did not help a lot so I went to the Thesaurus. The synonyms for vituperation are censure, disapproval, scolding, verbal abuse. These helped my with the word. 


perfidy: noun

the deliberate breaking of faith; betrayal of trust; treachery

"Perhaps your perfidy is why your husband, your mother-in-law, your children and yes, the betrayed old same before you, do not cherish you as they might."     pg 229


These words are both in the same chapter of the book and as you see are certainly related.  They are strong words, words not used much in our language these days. At least I was not familiar with them. 



4 comments:

  1. Someone else posted about perfidy a few weeks ago on this meme- can't remember who- if that's any comfort. I like it- has a good ring to it to describe treachery. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two interesting words, thanks! for sharing them.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/02/wondrous-words-wednesday_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both of your words today. I found the sentence rather interesting. I'm not sure why anyone would sing a song of censure or verbal abuse. I guess Snow Flower was pretty mad at somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent words. I'd like to use that tomorrow with my kindergarten classes and see what they think!

    ReplyDelete