Tuesday, February 12, 2013

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday and a Finish



 


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading. My first 2 paragraphs are from the first chapter of  The Mountains and the Fathers: Growing up on the Big Dry by Joe Wilkins.


The story goes that it was the heat of August, that on a whim they'd packed their fishing gear and filled the cooler and drove north all day to meet my father's friend Jack Peters at Current Lake, a deep pool of the Missouri shadowed by the Little Rocky Mountains.
The whole place was crawling with rattlesnakes. Snakes sliding through the tall grass, snakes curled in the outhouse,snakes draped like question marks across the rocks. My mother walked everywhere with a long, stout stick to sling them off the footpath. My father carried a shove and with it sliced the heads and rattles from those that twisted too near their tents. Jack Peters piled the dead snakes away from camp, for the flies and to keep from scaring my five-year-old sister. 

Except that I hate snakes I am going to continue this book. The writing is "picture making" and I want to know what happens after this.  What about you, would you keep reading? 


Also, yesterday I finished my Valentine Block of the Month. It is blackwork embroidery with a pieced border and made to fit in a table stand. I am happy to have finished it, as I am generally "the Queen of Unfinished Projects". I have joined the BOM and there will be a similar small block each month. The one for March has already arrived....I haven't even opened it.  Wish me luck!



Until next time

Stay Busy and Stay Happy




4 comments:

  1. I have the same aversion to snakes... not sure I could continue ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ick, I hope the snakes fade away quickly and the story slithers on to something else. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, the author paints a vivid picture. keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOPE - snakes would make me slitter away from that book LOL - Hope you enjoy it and thanks so much for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete