Wednesday, January 30, 2013





 Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

Here are two of my favorites new-to-me words from some of my recent reads. All definitions are from Merriam Webster Dictionary. 



From : The Park Service by Ryan Whitfield  ( reading for 2013 Ebook Challenge)

" I shout, my voice louder than I expected and echoing back to us from the caldera walls."  I immediately thought of cauldron, and the Merriam Webster Dictionary on my laptop says the origin is Spanish caldron. 

Caldera - noun

: a volcanic crater that has a diameter many times that of the vent and is formed by collapse of the central part of a volcano or by explosions of extraordinary violence



From: The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott  (reading for January BotM side read challenge on Love of Reading)

"That a coterie of snobs can deny you entry into this stiff-backed saloon?"

Coterie - noun

: an intimate and often exclusive group of persons with a unifying common interest or purpose 

synonyms:  gang, bunch, clique


What new amazing words have you found this week?


Until Next Time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

Judy


5 comments:

  1. I knew the word caldera, not the other.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/01/wondrous-words-wednesday_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find caldera very interesting since there's a brewery by that name. I'm wondering what kind of image they're trying to portray with that. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through WWW :) For some odd reason, I knew the word coterie. My mother used it to describe a mean group of girls that excluded me when I was in high school. Thanks for the great shares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mama was a smart cookie! I hated those mean girls in school!

      Delete
  4. I know both your words today, but don't use coterie all that often, I'll try and use it this week.

    ReplyDelete