Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday 1-15

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

I have Joy School by Elizabeth Berg on my TBR shelf. A teacher friend loaned me a copy of True to Form by Elizabeth Berg. When I got to looking at it, I found it was the 3rd in a trilogy. I HAVE to read trilogies in order, so on PBS I found copies of Durable Goods ( Katie Nash #1) which I now have read, and Joy School which I hope to start the first of Feb. The trilogy will be a completion of one of the sections of the Mega Mix Challenge from Love on Reading on Goodreads.  I have a January challenge going at the moment so must finish it first, before going on to the next one. I think I may have over committed!!!


"The housekeeper is ironing and I am lying on the floor beside her, trying secretly to look up her dress. I can't see anything but her slip. It is white, a skinny line of lace trim at the bottom, which I already knew because it was hanging out when she first got here, snowing down south. I had a thought to tell her, in a nice way. But what would be the point, it's only us two her and I'm not offended. "
"I used to think you had to be rich to have a housekeeper, but it's not true. Sometimes you are rich, but sometimes you only have a need and that is when you get messy housekeepers like this one. Not that I don't like her. Ginger is her name, like the dancer, and her hair is blond like that dancer too. She wear socks that fall down into the backs of her loafers -thin, white, wrong ones , though she is done with school so it isn't so important. I found out at my new high school, where I am a freshman, about wearing wrong socks and I had to quit wearing them. Of course the is only the tip of the iceberg."


This is the first and second paragraph from Joy School. I so enjoyed the first book in the trilogy, I look forward to the second.

What about you? Would you keep reading?



Tonight, is the January meeting of my f2f book club. I always enjoy the discussion that the selection inspires. We read Russian Winter  by Daphne Kalotay. I gave it 5 stars!  Great story, wonderfully told. 

Also this week, I am working on my secret quilt challenge. What a challenge it is! WAY outside my comfort zone!  I will post pictures when it is complete, the whole challenge that is. If your interested you can read what I wrote about it on a previous post, here.

I am headed to the grocery store. They are predicting snow and blowing snow, up to 40 mph winds. I want to get done before that starts!


So until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

2 comments:

  1. I have a couple of Elizabeth Berg books on my TBR shelf but I have yet to read her. She does sound good, though! I'd keep reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am slowly making my way through this author's books. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete