Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2013 Wondrous Words Wednesday Jan 9






Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, go to Kathy's Blog  grab the button, write a post and link up to see what wondrous words others have found.


My words this week come from Russian Winter  by Daphne Kalotay
.
1. balletomane – “As a young lawyer and balletomane, he had insinuated himself into Nina's life in a gentle, measured way,.."

A balletomane is a devotee of the ballet.


Russian baletoman, from balet  ballet+o+man, from maniya, mania

First known use: 1930


When I saw this word, I knew it had something to do with the ballet, Nina is a ballerina, but I wasn't sure exactly what it meant.
_____________________________________________________
2. oeuvre – “It's not an enormous oeuvre, by the way."


noun : a substantial body of work constituting the lifework of a writer, an artist, or a composer


I can't imagine myself ever using these words in my everyday conversation, but you never know!!.

10 comments:

  1. I noticed ballet was contained in balletomane but that didn't help me figure out the meaning. Now, I'm wondering how it's pronounced. Great words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go online and click the speaker too.

      the "t" in ballet is not silent!

      Delete
  2. Two great words to know and "throw around"--if only I can pronounce balletomane correctly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like balletomane. One of my young granddaughters just started ballet this week. I'm sure I'll become a balletomane too. Since I'm a woman and a Nana, however, I may have to change that to balletonana. Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually heard people use oeuvre in conversation before...a bit of a snooty one though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use oeuvre from time to time, I don't think I'd have much use for balletomane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other
    person's webpage link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar for you.

    Here is my web page :: The Interlace

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's up friends, its fantastic piece of writing regarding tutoringand fully explained, keep it up all the time.

    Here is my site; download 7Zip

    ReplyDelete
  8. With havin so much written content do you ever
    run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation?
    My blog has a lot of completely unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any methods to help stop content from being stolen? I'd really appreciate it.


    My web blog :: Minecraft Crack

    ReplyDelete