Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday 12-18




 Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.






Again, this week my words come from The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. The book I am currently reading, The Winter Sea by Suzanna Kearsley has lots of unusual words, because the some characters speak Doric, a slang of sorts used in some parts of  Scotland.  I’m getting used to reading the phrases and can usually figure out what Jimmy is saying. The author is really good at using the dialogue between Jimmy and his sons or Carrie, the protagonist, to translate the strange words and phrasing.

pg 152   “Brown hair, brown eyes – not too close together, thank goodness -  a rather pert little retrousse nose”
Retrousse
Adj   turned up at the end, used describing a nose.

pg 200  “- she waved a porcine hand to signal that the fellow might be admitted to her bower.”
Porcine
Adj:  of or resembling swine or pig  
I was pretty sure of both of these words. But they are not words I use day to day.

Another word I encountered in often in The Secret Keeper, was Kirby grips.  Dorothy (Dolly) was always referring to “kirby grips” in her hair. I thought some sort of curler or clip. When I googled it , there were images of what I grew up calling bobby pins. 

As the holidays draw closer, I am finding fewer and fewer hours to read.  I have 2 quilts to construct, cookies to bake, meal shopping to do. My MIL fell and has been in the hospital. She should be able to be moved to a short-term assisted living today. It may be a long road back for her, but her attitude it great. 


So until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. Heard of porcine, interesting words.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/12/wondrous-words-wednesday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the first time I've seen a nose described as retrousse. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Judy- I have a retrousse nose! Once in middle school, a boy sitting behind me described it as a "ski jump". Retrousse sounds much more sophisticated. I knew porcine! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has a retrousse nose too, she too was told by a boy in her class it was a "ski jump" nose. She was devastated!

      Delete
  4. I knew porcine and can remember it because it reminds me of pork, but retrousse is totally new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I came across your post through Wondrous Words Wednesday! "Retrousse" seems like such a fun adjective. I would love to work it into conversation, but that's a tricky one! I wonder if it's French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my dictionary says , Yes it is from the french. Good call!

      Delete