Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday 11-28-12



This MEME is sponsored by Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog. It is a place to share new words we have encountered in our reading or elsewhere this week.

My words this week are from The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.  I encountered the first one on page 1 and the second on page 6. I'm going to love this novel if it keeps using new -to-me words.


1.  copse  " A rustic fence hems the house, and a wooden gate separates the tame garden from the meadows on either side, the copse beyond."

I've seen this word before in another read, and because of the way it was used in a sentence, I thought I knew what it was. This time I looked it up.  copse n. A thicket made up of trees or small bushes.


2. Obfuscation "The effort of obfuscation was lost on Rose, whose attention, unreliable at best, had already shifted to a butterfly resting on the fence post."   This word was brand new to me. In fact it wasn't in the dictionary I had in my bookshelf. I had to look it up on an online dictionary.

obfuscation n. from the transitive verb obfuscate. 1) to cloud over; obscure; make darker. 2) to muddle; confuse; bewilder.

3. Proscenium  ",the balcony where they'd hung the old bedroom curtains to form a proscenium arch,"

proscenium  n. 1. the stage of an ancient Greek or Roman theater.
                         2. a) the apron of a stage
                             b) the plane separating the stage proper from the audience and including the arch ( ) and the curtain with it.

Thank you Kathy for sponsoring this MEME.  I am a bit of a Word Freak. I love new words.  Pop on over to Kathy's blog and see what new words everyone else encountered this week.


Until Next Time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

Judy

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your examples. I just purchased this book. It was my book club's choice this month. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! for sharing, new words for me.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/11/wondrous-words-wednesday_7402.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good words...I like proscenium. THANKS.


    I never find good words. :) Just checking out everyone else's words.


    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to add....I am reading The Secret Keeper....I will have to see when I find these words. :)


    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew the words...(she bragged) BUT with both you and Elizabeth reading The Secret Keeper I will have to put it on my tbr list. My words come from Les Miserables by Victor Hugo because I'm obsessed with the film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remembered proscenium has something to do with architecture but couldn't remember exactly what. I don't think I could pronounce obfuscation without tripping over my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just talking to a colleague today who had just finished The Secret Keeper and she was telling me what a fabulous read it was. And now here it is again.... I knew the first two words, actually obfuscate is one of my very favourite words. Proscenium is new to me too.

    ReplyDelete