Tuesday, October 16, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday 10-16-12


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

My mother bakes plum tarts every year in late August. The smell fills the house. As they bake, the juicy plums sink into the vanilla cake base. I'm smitten by the smell, the vanillaness of it. My mother's kitchen counter overflows with bowls and vessels. So many that is is often hard to find room to cook. There are ten different kinds of vinegars and oils. A smattering of porcelain teapots. A giant wooden bowl shaped like a carrot, always filled with peanuts in their shells. A little glass cloche containing soft runny cheese. A bowl of dried fruit - pears, apples, prunes, and apricots. A beige ceramic butter dish with soft butter, one of hundreds of ceramic pieces my parents have collected over the years. clementines in winter. Peaches in summer. Wasabi peas. Spiced pumpkins seeds. Whole walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds alongside an ornate silver nutcracker. A loaf of zucchini bread with flecks of green. 

  This is the first paragraph of the first chapter of talking with my mouth full by Gail Simmons. Actually it is really a preface to the first chapter, but I had already typed it all before I realized that. Anyway, would you continue?   I am anxious to read it. It is  a library loan, so I hope not to drool on the pages. LOL

I selected this book, sometime ago, to fulfill part of a book challenge on Goodreads. We are to take the name of one of our favorite books, and read a book whose title starts with each of the letters in that title. ie: THE LAST LECTURE is one of my favorite. So I chose talking with my mouth full  to fulfill the T in lecture.  When I finish the challenge, I will post it all here. 

So until later, 
Stay Busy Stay Happy

Judy

16 comments:

  1. I like the intro...it really shows us what happens in that kitchen.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell and taste the creations of that kitchen:) nice intro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great and makes me hungry all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This design is steller! You most certainly know how to
    keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos,
    I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
    ..HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really enjoyed what you
    had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.

    Too cool!

    My website ... auto insurance ct

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. I noticed your website title, "Blogger: Busy Hands Are Happy Hands" doesn't really reflect the content of your web page. When composing your blog title, do you believe it's most beneficial
    to write it for Search engine marketing or for your visitors?
    This is one thing I've been battling with mainly because I want great search rankings but at the same time I want the best quality for my website visitors.

    Also visit my blog - just click the following webpage

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really loving the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run
    into any web browser compatibility issues? A few of my
    blog audience have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great
    in Opera. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?



    Also visit my web-site; relevant internet site

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed
    in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

    my blog post - cheap auto insurance in missouri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings! I've been following your site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the great job!

    My web page ... great post to read

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm a
    little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a
    free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?

    There are so many choices out there that I'm completely confused .. Any recommendations? Appreciate it!

    Take a look at my weblog: relevant internet page

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am wondering which blogging platform you are running?
    I'm new to operating a blog and have been thinking about using the Vox platform. Do you consider this is a good foundation to start with? I would be really grateful if I could ask you some questions through email so I can learn a bit more prior to getting started. When you have some free time, please contact me at: lewis.copley@aol.com. Thank you

    My website - car and auto insurance

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it
    from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few
    simple adjustements would really make my blog stand out.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Many thanks

    Stop by my homepage Clicking Here ()

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I'm trying to find
    a template or plugin that might be able to correct this issue.
    If you have any recommendations, please share.
    Thank you!

    Here is my blog post: check out the post right here ::
    ::

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog site in Safari, it looks fine but when
    opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.

    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, amazing blog!


    my site; anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost
    a pretty penny? I'm not very web savvy so I'm not 100% positive.

    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers

    My blog post; moved here ()

    ReplyDelete
  15. This design is steller! You obviously know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
    ..HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that,
    how you presented it. Too cool!

    Also visit my site ... backlink building services

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against
    hackers? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
    Any suggestions?

    my web-site: small business seo company ()

    ReplyDelete