Saturday, September 15, 2012

9-15 Snapshot Saturday


Saturday Snapshot




Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.



.
On December 8, 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt celebrated the passage of the Antiquities Act by declaring four sites of historic and cultural significance as our nation's first National Monuments. Among these was Montezuma Castle, which the President identified as a place "of the greatest ethnological value and scientific interest." Although very few original artifacts remained in the structure due to intensive looting of the site, Roosevelt's decision assured the continued protection of one of the best preserved prehistoric cliff dwellings in North America. The very first one was Devil's Tower in Wyoming, between where I grew up and where I live now. I have visited there several times.   We visited Montezuma's Castle in Arizona last January. A very calm quiet place. You could almost hear the ghosts.  I should make a list of National Monuments to visit, now that I am retired.  A sort of historical places "bucket list".

15 comments:

  1. How very interesting. I would love to go visit those places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cliff dwelling are amazing. I'd love to visit someday. Thanks for sharing!
    My Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very interesting! I would love to visit someday! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be a cool place to visit! Lucky you for living so close to this national treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just showed this picture to my husband and we're adding it to our bucket list for sure. We live in Southern California so we can plan a road trip there. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Presumably that's a cave, where people once loved, and its been covered over to prevent further damage... it looks pretty inaccessible though... http://goo.gl/ZsnvZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's amazing...Hard to imagine anyone being able to get to the castle.

    Here's my Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy I'm sure getting a historical ride today, love your photo. A historical sites bucket list is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting bit of history! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard about this place before, it looks so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting place. I haven't heard of it, but now I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember visiting that site as a teen! Loved seeing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of this before. I think a historical sites bucket list sounds like a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not heard of this before, but it looks really interesting. Maybe one day I will be able to make it out there in person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing photo Judy. Something I would like to see.

    ReplyDelete