Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tuesday Reading Challenge

In early June I joined a Summer Reading Challenge sponsored by Reading Writers. I really intended to complete the list. But alas, life got in my way. Some of you have read about my summer already, but this post is to show what I have/have not complete on the reading challenge. So here is the challenge:


Get Ready! Get Set! Read! Summer Reading Challenge 2012

Last year was so much fun we just have to do it again! With nine new categories, this challenge is sure to keep your summer filled with great books! So here's to an exciting summer of reading!

GOAL: Commit to completing 8 titles that you have never read before! (10 for a bonus.)

CRITERIA: Choose any title in the following categories:

1. A book in an unfamiliar genre [Read outside your comfort zone!]I read Tales of the Vampires ( Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)by Josh Whedon and I hated it. It was a cartoon format, and maybe it was just me, but it didn't know how to read it, left to right, top to bottom...... and I did not follow the story??? Trash!!!

2. A book that is part of a series  I am reading Dove in the Window by Earlene Fowler. I am enjoying it as much as the 4 previous in the series. typical and predictable, but I could use an easy read and fun read. Just a footnote, I enjoyed it as I did all the other 4. There are a whole lot more Benni Harper mysteries  I intend to read. 

3. A book that your friend or wider society has been raving about!  “Twilight” by Stephanie Meyers
4. A book that ‘could’ [This category is open to your interpretation*] I had listed that I would read When Mars and Venus Collide by John Gray Ph.D., but as I was going through some of my mom's things after her death, I came across When Good People Have Affairs by Mira Kirshenbaum. I think it was put in the box as we were sorting though Mom's things with my sister. I sort of remember her giving it to me and I hid it in the box ( a year ago). I hoped it "could" help me understand, but it did not!

5. A book from the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels List. [See NY Times link below]

                      "Wide Sargasso Sea," Jean Rhys

6. A book that reminds you of your childhood.  

    Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl, I Learned From Judy Blume by Jennifer O’Connell
7. A banned or contested book, OR a book that lied to us* 
                    Beloved by Toni Morrison.  
8. A book you judged by the cover. [For whatever reason, the cover attracted you.]
                
               The Room by Emma Donoghue
9. Bonus: A blog turned book [OR a book turned blockbuster movie]
  
          Still deciding. Probably Hunger Games.
10. Bonus: Free choice!  Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

Start date: May 28
End date: August 31

*Fulfill the categories in any order
Don't forget to share why you chose the titles you did. Also, share comments about the books you're reading! We invite conversations :)


Anyway, I did not finish this challenge. Although August is not quite over, I will press on. After all, I want to read all the books that I picked.  I will post again, as I finish the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment