Tuesday, June 5, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday 6-5-12









It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love. Dr. Juvenal Urbino noticed it as soon as he entered the still darkened house where he had hurried on an urgent call to attend a case that for him had lost all urgency many years before. The Antillean refugee Jeremiah de Saint-Armour, disabled war veteran, photographer of children, and his most sympathetic opponent in chess, had escaped the torments of memory with aromatic fumes of gold cyanide. 

This is the first paragraph of a book I have been wanted to read for a very long time. It was originally recommended by the Oprah Book Club. The title caught my attention, and I have no idea what the story is about. But, I checked it out at the library yesterday, so I will begin.  The title is Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He lives in Mexico City, was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1982 for his international best-setter One Hundred Years of Solitude. 


Hopefully today I will finish How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue and get my SUMMER wall hanging ready for binding, then I can start this new book.

I was in the water this morning at 5AM, walked the Lazy River, attended my water aerobics class. I came home, ate breakfast and mowed the side yard, then watered and weeded my Hosta bed. I am pooped and it isn't even noon yet.  YIKES!

1 comment:

  1. Hope to read this one someday, so I would keep on reading. Thanks for joining in and visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete